View Single Post
Old February 17, 2001, 10:38 PM   #3
Double Naught Spy

Ian11, do a search when the search function starts working again. This has been discussed at length, almost comparable to the 9 mm versus .45 discussions. Both camps have their personal preferences that are legit and both camps have preferences that are not so legit. In regard to light output, both lights are comparable, afterall, they are using the same amount of power and comparable types of bulbs. The scorpian has the advantage of coming with a spare bulb, plus having a slightly adjustable beam. The Surefire has a fixed focus beam that is about as good as you can get. As such, there are no real imperfections in the beam illumination. You can get the Scorpion to focus almost that good, but if you try for a wide focus, then you see imperfections in the beam. Surefire does not come with a spare bulb. In fact, you have to buy a spare bulb and reflector because the bulb comes fixed to the reflector, hence the fixed focus. Surefire bulbs cost around $15, but Scorpion replacement bulbs are only $5.

There are more accessories out there for the Surefire than for the Scorpion.

I own the larger 9z and several Scorpions. I like the switch on the Scorpion better. Both have pressure switches, but the Scorpion can be made to stay on by clicking the switch. For the Surefire, you have to actually rotate the butt that essentially screws down the contact into place, making the light stay on.

Dollar for dollar, the Scorpion is the better way to go. It is simply a better value and I think it is a handier light. If you decide to go with Surefire, you might consider the 6p which is as much as $10-15 cheaper than the 6z. The light output is the same, just a different housing setup.

Hey, if price isn't a factor, then buy two of the Scorpions instead of one Surefire. I promise you will find uses for them. Or, you can just hold one back in reserve (the batteries last 10 years stored) until you lose or irreparable damage the first one. I understand from a friend that getting one slammed in the door of a big GMC truck can result in such damage.

Page generated in 0.03979 seconds with 8 queries