View Single Post
Old September 22, 2000, 12:19 PM   #2
CITADELGRAD87

Well, let me try to explain.

The transmission of energy into the target, along with the actual wound inflicted, are factors in how "effective" any given round is.

You probably already know that the bigger the bullet, the more potential for damage, ie a .45 should be more effective than a .25, partly because of the size of the bullet as it makes the wound track.

A hollow point is supposed to open to an even larger diameter than the origional caliber of the round upon contacting the target(depending on what it is, ie, it won't open when it hits a paper target, but should open when it hits a metro phone book.) The larger diameter means a bigger hole, therefore more wound damage. If it works right, it's been said to have mushroomed, from the shape it takes. It is caused by the cavity in the front of the bullet, the soft interior of the bulet, and the relatively hard jacket.

Second, a larger diameter bullet transfers more energy into the target rather than pass straight through. .22s are notorious for screaming right through and leaving the target with lots of wasted energy, ie energy that was not transferred into the target. This is parly due to both high velocity and small frontal area, ie little drag passing through the target.

Some weapons will not reliably feed hollowpoint ammo because of the different front shape resulting from the cavity. This can often be fixed by a competent gunsmith.

In a .22, I really don't know if hollowpoints reliably open.

Hope I answered what you were asking.

[This message has been edited by CITADELGRAD87 (edited September 22, 2000).]

Page generated in 0.03452 seconds with 8 queries