View Single Post
Old August 19, 2013, 02:23 PM   #38
Magnum Wheel Man

thought I just toss out a couple lines...

I have 2 custom rifles ( they were my FIL's ) both are 60's - 70's customs built on nice actions... one was what I can honestly say is "Bubba'd" one was skillfully done... at 1st glance, the Bubba gun catches your eye more than the skillfully done rifle... the bought, professionally shaped, light colored, birdseye maple stock is quick to catch your eye, until you start looking at the inletting, & Etc. it's been glass bedded, & shoots good, but it will never get away from the looks of Bubba, because of the quality of wood work done ( I'd love to try my hands at this kind of work, & have experimented some, with Rohm revolvers & other scourge... ) trouble is, if I wanted to "play" today, all those economical guns are worth too much now ( well maybe a Mosin or two )

anyway the other, has a dark colored tiger stripe walnut stock, the dark color hides the perfect inletting... this 2nd gun was a very quality build, & I'm sure the gun was "economical" to have professionally built...

a couple years ago, I picked up a '93 Mauser, that had been built "professionally" back when it was a cheap rifle... I added to it, by barreling with a nice tight 7mm barrel ( still chambered in 7 X 57 ) I also added a cock on open kit, the rifle had everything else it could need, Timminy Trigger, jeweled bolt, bent bolt handle new safety, etc.& the rifle is as good a hunting rifle as any today...

I remember watching a car show, where Jay Leno was talking about fixing up a car, restore or custom, he thought better to start with a rare high dollar car, so when you went to sell it, you could get your money back out of it... I think with rifles, it's totally opposite, if you can't "Bubba" up a cheap rifle, so you can make it more functional, & get your money back out of it, you are better off leaving them alone...

but do agree with the statement, that if millions were made, & enough of them aren't destroyed, there are too many to be collectable... my buddy has the sailor handbook, that the Navy gives out to new recruits... this one is the 11th edition, from 1943... I told him... better wait to see what it's worth, since it's from 1943 ( before he gave it to me )... well there are tons of them for sale on E-Bay, for $10.00 OBO... because they printed them by the millions, & no one bubba'd them, they aren't worth anything...

GO... BUBBA GO... but let me get mine 1st

Page generated in 0.02502 seconds with 8 queries