View Single Post
Old April 12, 2009, 10:45 PM   #1
algentry1

Black Powder framed Single Action Army

Hi, Folks.

I have bought the pistol, shown in the attachment. It's shipping tomorrow, and I 'll have it Tuesday. It's an 1893, Frontier Six Shooter, (Black Powder) well used, but not abused. The Previous owner says he shoots it, and it works well, but only uses "Cowboy Loads", and cautioned me to do the same.
Are there really any .44-40 cowboy loads that actually duplicate black powder pressures?
Just going to carry it in the woods, so Id like to go really easy on this old Colt. The panel screws are original, and undamaged, so I'd like to avoid Black Powder. If I shoot BP in it, I will be taking it apart a lot.

Sellers Ad said
"Colt SAA 44-40 cal Bore VG plus, Mech VG plus, Original eagle grips VG plus worn smooth on the high areas. Has a 4 ¾” Rd barrel with 2 line address and Colt Frontier Six Shooter on the left side and original untouched front sight. The frame has excellent patent dates and horse in a circle markings. Serial #149549 matching. Mfg 1893. Metal overall has an aged grey finish with some very fine pitting in areas."

I'll have it inspected by my Pistol Smith, to determine if it's safe to shoot, at all, before I try it out.
I welcome any input.
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wm_1223689.jpg (73.0 KB, 118 views)

Last edited by algentry1; April 12, 2009 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Added text from Online Sellers Ad

Page generated in 0.03053 seconds with 9 queries