View Single Post
Old October 16, 2004, 11:32 PM   #10
oldjad01

You could backbore the bbl to get some choke. The Mossberg bbls are rather thick so you can probably open up the bbl from the breech to about 2-3" from the muzzle enough to get any choke that you want as well as reduce recoil and pellet deformation. But it won't be cheaprer that the threading for choke tubes.
Vang backbores, lengthens the forcing cone and ports the bbl with his proprietory pattern. Most people that have them say that they are great. He charges around $250(?) on your bbl. I am not sure if the backbore reduces recoil as much on the Mossberg as it does on the Remingtons because the bore on the Mossberg is closer to a 10 than a 12 to start with. The longer forcing cone also reduces both the recoil and the shot deformation. I know a very good tactical shotgun instructor that says he can do head shots with 00 to around 25Yds. I have lengthed the port and ported my 870, but not backbored it. It is a standard cylinder choke and I would hesitate to try a head shot at much over 10 yards and then I would hold off so the pattern would center around the ear.
The options are as unlimited as your checkbook. Jim

PS: the Vang system reduces recoil enough to create feeding problems on some self loading guns. I have talked to some Benelli and 1100-1187 owners that had to fiddle with loads, etc to get a dependable load that would fully cycle the gun. I guess the recoil operated actions have the problem, Any added weight (loaded side saddles, etc) on the m90 Benellis can cause the probelm. Good luck and check with the smiths like Vang to get the straight scoop.

Page generated in 0.03409 seconds with 8 queries