View Single Post
Old July 7, 2012, 12:35 AM   #5
Lost Sheep

I pick a cavity, assemble the measure, fill to the fullest level I habitually keep it then throw a few charges and dump them into a discard bowl (which will eventually go back into the hopper, but for now they are set aside.)

Then throw a charge and weigh it. Write it down
Throw another charge and weigh it. Write it down

Then doing the same thing as above with the hopper at the lowest level I habitually keep it

Then throw a charge and weigh it. Write it down

after the two bunches of 5 charges, if they are all within 0.1 grains of one another I take the average as the amount that cavity will drop, if the two averages are the same.

If they are not satisfactory and reassuring, I throw 5 more and begin to evaluate the average, standard deviation and extreme spread.

I continue like that until I am satisfied with the statistics for my intended purpose for the loads or I am dissatisfied with the stats.

When that conclusion is reached I decide whether or not to use the autodisk for this load or not.

If not, I don't use the autodisk for this load. If I am satisfied, I accept the limitations of the stats and go from there.

If the average is not approaching the load I wanted, I pick the next larger or next smaller cavity and try that one.

If I am trying to get to a VERY PARTICULAR load, I will obtain another disk and ream out the next smaller cavity to make it perform (drop the drop) want. If the powder granules are not shaped so that the drop I want is what I get (different powder granule shapes simply do not perform well in certain measures), I pick another way to mete the powder or switch powders.

I will have to admit that I am not so demanding that I have ever had to do this whole routine, but I am confident it would yield optimal results.

It's a lot of work. For handgun rounds, I have found the Auto-disk to perform adequately without all this fol-di-rol. For long-range rifle rounds, and fine tuning for ultimate accuracy, sure.

Lost Sheep

p.s. A substantial number of handloaders subscribe to the belief that volume is a better determinant of load strength than weight, but that is another debate for another thread.

Page generated in 0.02580 seconds with 8 queries