View Single Post
Old January 18, 2010, 01:58 AM   #1
elwaynum1

Texas Handgun Laws

Just recently a friend of mine asked me whether or not it was lawful to carry a loaded handgun with you while you were in your vehicle while not having a concealed carry license. I was always under the impression that in Texas you could not have a handgun on or about yourself or readily accessible to you anywhere but your own premises without a CCL. So, I got home and decided to look up the penal code and this is what I found...

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/adminis...elatedlaws.htm

Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:

(1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or

(2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control.

(a-1) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control at any time in which:

(1) the handgun is in plain view; or

(2) the person is:

(A) engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic;

(B) prohibited by law from possessing a firearm; or

(C) a member of a criminal street gang, as defined by Section 71.01.

So, have I been wrong? Can you carry while inside your vehicle and on the way to your vehicle from your premises? It seems like that is how the law reads. I got this from the Texas Department of Public Safety so I'm assuming this is the most up to date.

-Ben

Page generated in 0.03358 seconds with 8 queries