Thread: 32 ammo
View Single Post
Old May 23, 2005, 10:25 AM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

Actually, buckshot is made by a much less precise method than bullets. As a result the tolerance for buckshot is +/-0.015". So, even though the nominal diameter of single-ought buck (0.32") is closer to .311" than double-ought's 0.33" nominal dimension, some single-ought will be as small as 0.305", and will fall into the cases and allow gas blow-by in the barrel, causing leading.

You could try running the bigger balls through a sizer, but I think it would be hard to keep the small cylindrical bearing length that results from tipping off axis during seating. Try it to see? The powder will have no problem pushing the oversize ball onto the rifling, but if the largest balls swell the cases to the point they won't chamber properly, you could remove the de-capping pin from your sizing die, then run the loaded rounds up in there to size the ball and case into spec. You would do best to have a carbide sizer for this. Otherwise you will have to do a bit of lube cleaning.

I would still recommend you seat the balls flush with the case mouth, then apply a little bullet lube to fill the space left around the edge of the ball. You could also apply Lee tumble lube to the balls and let it dry before loading.

By the way, like Leftoverdj, I like cast wadcutters in .32. I bought a six cavity Lee mold for their .32 tumble-lube wadcutter. Very accurate bullet. My dad had trouble with hollow base wadcutters keyholing from his GSP, but not the tumble lube bullets. An article appeared a few years back in which the author fired .32 HBWC's through a series of barrels with faster twist rates. The groups were tightest when he got to 1 in 12". The shorter cast wadcutters (no hollow base) stabilize more easily in the slow 1 in 18.75" standard twist. .32 H&R magnums have enough extra velocity so this is less of a problem for them.

Nick

Page generated in 0.03259 seconds with 8 queries