View Single Post
Old December 8, 2012, 10:15 AM   #9
Spats McGee
Staff

If the only issue is the finish, it'd be very hard to go wrong with an older 870 at that price. Even harder if you can talk him down a bit. My only concern, actually, would be the restoration. What exactly does that mean, and did a decent gunsmith do the work? If I just dropped in at a pawn shop and spotted a "restored" 870, I'd be a little hesitant, because I wouldn't know if it was done by someone competent. However, if you took your 642 in to the shop for work, I'm guessing that you trust the smith. If someone I trusted did the work, I'd jump on it at that price, assuming I had the cash to spare.

From time to time, I duck hunt with one that was probably made in the 50s or 60s. It's been used to paddle a boat, submerged in water, and spackled in mud while bouncing along on the back of a 4-wheeler. It still shoots like a champ.

Edited to add: I wouldn't worry too much about the box or the manual, if this is going to be a shooter. With a gun that old, I wouldn't expect the box to be around (unless it's a collector's piece, of which I have none), and I'd bet that you can download the manual off of Remington's site.

Page generated in 0.03087 seconds with 8 queries