View Single Post
Old February 16, 2013, 11:13 AM   #84
ScotchMan

Went through this thread and it looks like my experiences didn't make it into this one. I get crap from some of the people in this thread for talking bad about the SR9c, so I'll try to keep it brief. Remember, mine is just one data point.

I had light strike problems with mine. I removed the mag disconnect and cleaned the striker channel and it cleared up. I was always nervous about carrying a gun for defense in which I had modified a factory safety feature.

After about 300-400 rounds, the trigger stopped resetting. I sent the gun to Ruger and they replaced the firing assembly with "stronger parts" (their words). I would have preferred they shipped all the guns with the stronger parts, but service was great and turn around was about 2 weeks at my request due to an upcoming class I had.

After about 1,000 rounds, I noticed barrel peening. You can Google this if you don't know what it is. I was not sure if it was cosmetic or a problem, so I decided to let Ruger decide as they are the experts. They asked me to ship them the gun, and replaced the barrel. They included a note that this was a one-time repair and future replacements would be my responsibility. That kind of rubbed me the wrong way since I had left it up to them if it was even an issue, and they had decided it was since they chose to replace it. But if their flawed design peened another barrel it was my fault?

I sold the gun after that and the new owner has been happy with it. I've never experienced any malfunction in any other gun, and I've owned 9 other automatics according to my permit. The Ruger shot beautifully, had a great trigger, and was very accurate. I carried it for about 6 months, it was my first handgun and I took several classes with it.

I realized after the fact that some of the safety features were not what I was looking for, and it was not a good match for me. After getting a few other guns, I realized the ergonomics were not as good as I'd thought either. My friend still has an SR40 and shooting that is an eye-opener for me now that I am used to the grips on my other guns that fit me better.

These things, combined with the issues I had, causes me to not recommend it to others. I do think it is a great value though, and if you are after all the safety gadgets it has, it is not a bad choice. But I think there are better choices out there if you are willing to spend just a bit more.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member

Page generated in 0.05509 seconds with 8 queries