View Single Post
Old July 27, 2012, 07:45 PM   #12
bedbugbilly

I can't speak to the model you're looking at but your post reminded me of when I was a kid and started hunting pheasants with a double barrel. My Dad got me an old used N.R. Davis double 16. We hunted with a neighbor who had a good dog and who taught us well how to hunt pheasants in a swamp and how to drive the cornfields. Mind you, we were very safety oriented . . but I remember the first time I had a bird go up, I somehow managed to pull both triggers at the same time. Didn't knock me on my you know what but it did teach me a valuable lesson. . . . relax and don't get caught up in the excitement and never position your finger so that the middle finger was anywhere near the back trigger.

The neighbor found a custom built L.C. Smith double 12 with two sets of barrels, ivory beads, engraving, custom fitted case and a single trigger - it was beautiful. He bought it off of an old man who wanted someone to have it who would use it and appreciate it. This was in the early 60s and he paid the fellow $300.00 for it - a lot of money at that time - today it would be more like $3,000. It had a select single trigger which could be selected to fire either side first, depending on what you wanted - modified or choked. He would let me hunt with it and for pheasants, we always had the "brush" (short - 20") on it as we hunted in some pretty dense swamps where you'd have to get right on top of the bird before it went up - in fact his dog was a pointer and he'd point and sometimes we'd have to literally "kick" the bird up. Shooting that shotgun was like warm butter in your hands - it fit you perfectly and I don't ever remember missing a bird with it. All you had to do was point, shoot and the bird fell.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63

Page generated in 0.03184 seconds with 8 queries