View Single Post
Old December 29, 2011, 10:25 AM   #2
hoffbill

I use Hornady SST in .270 and .243 and have experienced similar results. Small exit wound but almost instant death with liquified or shredded organs. I have also used Nosler Ballistic Tips with similar results although in my observations the SST was even more devastating. However I have not killed a large enough number of animals to make this a scientific comparison. I think what we are seeing is the difference between how some of the modern hunting bullets perform a little differently than the old traditional soft point jacketed bullets which mushroom extensively and do a lot of tissue damage as they impart most of their energy into the animal. The BT and SST style bullet works by expanding slightly at the nose but retaining mass and velocity as they travel through the animal, using the velocity (energy) to produce hydrostatic shock, thus the liquified organs and small exit wound. I prefer the latter drop on the spot technique because I am old and lame and no longer enjoy following Bambi's blood trail through the brush in the dark.

Page generated in 0.02268 seconds with 8 queries