View Single Post
Old January 22, 2001, 04:26 PM   #7
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Howdy Gus,

As far as I know, Cimmaron does certain things (or requires Uberti to) to the guns that they get from Uberti. Again, I think it's mainly fit and finish, and maybe wood quality. Cimmaron has a Cowboy Comp Model P, which is modified to take a coil handspring (as opposed to the flat spring used in standard guns). These guns also have some action work done to them, I think.

Your other choices for SAA clones are American Western Arms and U.S. Patent Firearms. AWA bought out Armi San Marcos. You may still find an occassional new ASM gun. The AWA guns are very popular right now. They make two grades- the cheaper Longhorn and more expensive Peacekeeper. These guns come from the factory with an "action job" , which appears to be some judicious buffing of select parts. These guns are very smooth right out of the box, but aren't without their problems. Go to this website- http://www.ycsi.net/users/gunsmith/AWA.htm - for a very thorough critique of the guns by a noted CAS gunsmith. I personally handled a Longhorn today in an outdoor store. This gun was nice, but the bolt had a bad habit of retracting just enough to free the cylinder, and then it would ride the cylinder around to the next notch. Invariably, this was leading to scoring of the cylinder. Locally, I can get this gun for $319 and the Peacekeeper for $550, and those are the cheapest prices I've seen, by far. Right now, AWA is quite backlogged with orders ( I heard 5,000). So, finding these might be tricky.

The U.S. Patent clones are highly regarded, but carry a fairly premium price of $800 or so. I haven' handled one, so I can't comment on the action.

EAA sells the Bounty Hunter, which is closer to a Ruger clone that a SAA.

Bellicose Bill

Page generated in 0.02692 seconds with 8 queries