View Single Post
Old January 23, 2011, 03:45 PM   #14
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
in order to shoot slugs out of a shotgun you need to get the right barrel for the job.
Yes you are sort of correct... If you want to invest in sabot slugs, you would likely want to pair the investment with a new rifled barrel or you will not see the full potential.

Quote:
i have a mossberg 500 and i have to put a rifled barrel on it to shoot a sabot slug.
Yes, see above...

Quote:
if you try and shoot a slug out of a smooth bore barrel then you will probably damage the barrel, because of the choke tube
Now this is 100% erroneous and you really need to be careful that you actually know what you are talking about before spreading it as factual info. I am glad you were wrong leaning towards safety...

The truth is that "damage" to a smooth barrel from a sabot slug is very unlikely with any choke, fixed or tube, constriction up to and including a standard "full"... Also, you will not "damage" a rifled barrel with a "rifled" slug. However, you may foul the rifling grooves with lead that will require a deep cleaning with a liberal application of elbow grease to remedy.

Brent

Page generated in 0.03886 seconds with 8 queries