View Single Post
Old September 29, 2001, 06:55 PM   #8
Big Lou

Good to hear that you realized this before depending on a "point and spray" defense. It's amazing how many supposedly knowledgeable firearms folks aren't aware of the distance required for a shotgun pattern to spread......I guess Hollywood has once again brainwashed us with garbage.

One (bad) example of this was the movie "El Dorado" with John Wayne and James Caan. Caan played a guy that couldn't shoot a pistol, so John Wayne got him a very short sawed-off double barrelled shotgun. When he shot the thing in a room, the entire wall he was facing was peppered with shot. Loved the movie, hated the Hollywood BS.

The duckbill WAS a device used to cause the pellets to spread more horizontally than vertically.......but it didn't really cause the pattern to spread out any sooner than a cylinder bore would. I used to see some variations of duckbills at gunshows years ago, but haven't seen any in a long time (maybe because they weren't effective?!?).

I agree with several other postings, no matter what you do, a shotgun is just NOT going to spread much of a pattern at distances of 10-20 feet. Incorporate that into your home defense scenarios and go with it.

Page generated in 0.03443 seconds with 8 queries