View Single Post
Old June 4, 2013, 10:50 PM   #4
taylorce1

Quote:
I think they publish G1 because it lets them advertise with larger numbers.
At least Sierra is honest enough to scale down the G1 by velocity range, which I have been assured is a law of nature, not a kluge to offset a mathematical mismatch.

But looking at your chart, the difference in BC only amounts to an inch on the target somewhere past 400 yards and a MOA on the sight beyond 700.
In my long range rifle I use the Sierra 107 grain, DTAC 115 grain, and the Berger VLD 105 and 115 grain bullets. I have to agree that the ballistics data on the Sierra's is pretty spot on as well as the other bullets I mentioned.

Quote:
BC is over rated, either G1, G7, or G8
You might think so but I see it as another tool in the tool box. I agree it isn't the only tool, but one that gets used and misused a lot. To me using the correct BC is less bullets used at the range, and more bullets used for the other things I like to shoot. My 6X47 that I mentioned is pretty much a varmint rifle and steel ringer out to 500 yards. I shoot targets much smaller with it than the kill zone on a deer or pronghorn that you mentioned. So the variance in BC is magnified on smaller targets.

Quote:
Learn your sights and form factor doesn't matter. Or you can take you computer, do the math and find the antelope you're after over the next ridge when you get your numbers plugged in and are ready to shoot.
I agree with what you say and you're going further than what I was even discussing. I used that particular load because that is the rifle I've been working with the most over the last few years. It isn't a long range round by any means but I've made a few long range shots with it.

I wasn't suggesting you take a computer out hunting, but using resources available taking advantage of them while at the range. When I started using this bullet I was using the G1 and the adjustments on the scope were never spot on. When I switched to the G7/Litz BC numbers my adjustments matched up more closely.

All that work at the range allowed me to work up better range data for my cards that I attach to the butt stock or scope. So that I don't need my phone or computer while in the field shooting prairie dogs, coyotes or ringing steel at various distances. It is what you would call "knowing your sights."

Page generated in 0.03866 seconds with 8 queries