View Single Post
Old December 11, 2011, 11:27 PM   #8
Rich Mc

You need to find the places where the ducks want to be. They fly in 1 or 2 ways an they leave 1 or 2 ways. You need to be in those flight paths to get birds.

If you can not get to the X where they want to land, be in the way in or out and you will get some shots.

Practice shooting and learn what killing ranges are for your gun and shooting style. Most new guys shoot at birds that are out of range and only tip a few, resulting in a chase and a lost bird.

Learn how to mark your birds down - line 'em up with recognizable reference objects - then head over immediately. Walk in the step-stop method of ruffed grouse hunting and you will find more cripples as they flee. Marking helps you find the dead ones, too.

As for decoys - use what you see when you scout - if there are 100 birds in an S shape, then copy that. If 6-10 birds in a circle, do that. Keep your decoys between 15 and 25 yards. I rarely shoot more than 30 yards because it is not necessary. I'm also mostly deaf - so I rarely call. A bird inside of 30 yards is dead, dead, dead, a decoying bird drops still.

If you want to talk about what you do and how - email me at [email protected]. You can also look at my duck boats - the hybrid duck boat web site has free plans.

decoy spread where we hunt.

dad w/ some ducks

The Hybrid NL version

Page generated in 0.02412 seconds with 8 queries