View Single Post
Old June 19, 2011, 01:56 AM   #11
BDS-THR

I have found that for plated bullets (Rainier, PowerBond, X-Treme, etc.) with diameters that match jacketed bullet diameters (.355", .400", .451", etc.), I need to use jacketed load data to maintain consistent chamber pressures and resulting accuracy.

For plated bullets (Berry's) with larger diameters (.356", .401", 452", etc.), I need to use lead load data or start-mid range jacketed load data for my .355"/.400"/.451" barrels.

Keep in mind that many factory barrels are oversized and larger than typical jacketed bullet diameters of .355", .400", .451" (many are .001"-.002"+ over). If you have oversized barrel, you are going to have more high pressure gas leakage around the bullet due to less tight bullet-to-barrel fit and higher powder charges would be needed to produce more consistent chamber pressures (which explains the OP's experience). Slug your barrel and if you have oversized barrel, Berry's larger diameter bullets will be better suited for you.

As to plating stripping off the lead core, my experience with plating on current commercial plated bullets is that they are thick enough to not cut into or strip off, even at high-to-near max load data range. However, if you apply too much roll crimp to the point where you are cutting through the plating, you may experience plating separation and the "halo" effect. If you experience any leading with plated bullets under 1200 fps, you are over roll crimping the bullet and cutting through the plating, not due to plating failure.

Page generated in 0.04037 seconds with 8 queries