View Single Post
Old August 1, 2007, 10:09 AM   #10
The Tourist

This is another debate (sigh) where I am pulled both ways.

First, Ayoob put it best when he stated that a citizen/homeowner/CCW licensed user is not a sworn officer. Not only would he be reacting beyond his legal limits, but far beyond his training. He is also "out in the world" and he is responsible for every shot he takes.

Having said that, I get angry when I'm attacked. I'd be furious if I was attacked in my home. That act would not only make me feel violated in my own space but it endanger my wife, my dogs and any nearby neighbors by ricochets and penetrating shots.

Like you do, I keep firearms in various places in my home. (We have no children.) One such automatic pistol is in/on a table facing the front door.

In the heat of an exchange, hoping I am still alive, I can foresee an adrenaline dump that just might want to make me hit back. It's a feeling that I have had before. I may very well give chase. Sitting here, calm, before my computer, it would be a foolish thing to do.

Yes, arresting the home owner is a very real problem, and probably correct until everything is straightened out.

In law we have The Doctrine of the Reasonable Man. Taken into account, I hope a reasonable DA or jury will consider that.

Page generated in 0.02454 seconds with 8 queries