View Single Post
Old October 12, 2008, 12:06 AM   #5
King Ghidora

A gun that burns as much powder as a 30.06 should be cleaned every time you shoot it. Residue can build up quickly because you are burning a lot of powder.

Smaller guns like the .22 especially can go longer but they should be cleaned often too.

Many of us don't clean as often as we should. I generally clean any gun I shoot every time but not always. Sometimes I'll just run a brush or a pad down the barrel to make sure no obstructions have accumulated. With a high power rifle or a shotgun even small amounts of residue can be a problem so cleaning the barrel is very important. Cleaning the breech isn't as important. The main problem it might cause is a failure to cycle correctly especially in an automatic. The ammo I use sometimes determines if I clean the breech after only firing a few rounds. If it's a particularly dirty type of ammo I'll clean it every time. If not I might let some things go especially my .22's. I get tempted to shoot a bunch of different guns every time I start to shoot but I try to resist the urge because I could be cleaning guns all night if I do.

But with a 30.06 it's best to clean your gun every time. I know it can be time consuming but taking care of a good weapon can become a joy in itself.

Page generated in 0.02157 seconds with 8 queries