View Single Post
Old November 19, 2013, 09:00 PM   #15
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog
I'm soon going to purchase a Smith Wesson M&P Shield in 9mm and I am researching defense loads...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantine
Winchester Ranger T-Series 127gr +p+
I don't believe that S&W formally endorses the use of +P+ in any of their auto pistols. IOW if the OP's gun is damaged firing it, the warranty and/or Lifetime Service Policy may be voided.

OTOH Winchester offers a 124gr +P Ranger flavor that has a very good reputation (catalog# RA9124TP). The standard-pressure 147gr Ranger catalog# RA9T is pretty much the standard against which all other heavy-bullet 9mm loads are judged, and I find it to have very low felt recoil, but it has more of a "pushy" feel vs. the "snappy" feel of most 9mm SD loads; YMMV.

FWIW if you can't find a dealer who sells Winchester LE ammo to civilians (and who has 9mm in stock!), the 124gr +P "PDX1 Defender" sold at many big-box sporting goods stores is reportedly the same as Ranger Bonded (catalog# RA9BA), but in a small black box; both are basically the same thing as RA9124TP with a slightly different bullet. However, one advantage of the Rangers is that they're sold in 50rd boxes that are more economical per round than the 20-25rd boxes used for most civilian-oriented SD loads, so practice is cheaper. This is the primary reason I generally carry Rangers.

Page generated in 0.02265 seconds with 8 queries