Thread: Krav Maga
View Single Post
Old March 24, 2001, 02:34 AM   #15
LawDog
Staff Emeritus

Krav maga is suffering from a slight case of what friends of mine refer as 'Squeal Syndrome' -- the desire to be the 'in' thing, even if you're not.

I know of an instructor who has taught tournament Tae Kwon Do for as long as I've known him. Recently, though, he's losing money becuase the 'cool' martial skill to learn is one of the mixed/street ones: kajukenbo, jeet kune do, BJJ/muay thai and the like.

So, all of a sudden his Tae Kwon Do sign has come down, and a Krav Maga sign has gone up in it's place. He's still teaching tournament Tae Kwon Do, he's just calling it Krav Maga.

And because people think he's teaching a 'cool' martial skill, he's got full classes again.

I have a sneaking suspicion that this may happen quite frequently in the self-defense world.

As far as the skill of krav maga goes, the bona fide krav maga techniques that I've seen are very street orientated and very effective. Fellow peace officers that have krav maga backgrounds handle themselves very well in real-life street-level confrontations, unlike some other currently popular skills that I've seen. YMMV. Use the Internet and the martial skills community to make sure that you are actually being taught krav maga and learn.

LawDog

Bona na Croin

The LawDog Files

Page generated in 0.02380 seconds with 8 queries