View Single Post
Old September 6, 2009, 02:28 PM   #54
Glenn E. Meyer

Quote:
It seems to me that when one contemplates shooting one person twice in the abdomen, moving to shoot another person in the abdomen, and moving back to shoot the first person in the head, and then moving again to shoot the second person in the head to 'finish them off', that person has crossed some sort of line beyond 'shoot to stop'. We're now in the territory of 'kill any aggressors', and I shouldn't have to explain why this mentality is not only immoral or destructive, but also contrary to the philosophy that those who espouse a respect for 2nd amendment rights wish to uphold.
I must disagree with this analysis. I also must say that I don't respect the comments about morality or the 2nd Amend. I also, also say that the analysis fails to appreciate the actual situation.

First, using an opportunity to get of Dodge and disengage is the way to go. However, in lethal force situation, faced with foes with weapons - a shot in the abdomen is not guaranteed to stop any attack. The Mozambique drill is a response to a failure to stop. That means the opponent is still in the fight and a lethal threat to you.

You need to stop the threat if still posed. As a shot anywhere in the torso can be lethal - I fail to see the differential morality to add more shots to the original seeing the opponent is still in the fight.

Next, we have:

Quote:
If you've shot a human armed with a screwdriver and can't find a way to overpower them or otherwise extricate one's self from the situation after firing a shot into said assailant then you would certainly fail the most basic of physical fitness tests.
That's simply not reality. Perhaps the poster is someone of superhuman physical abilities. But some folks might shoot a big person in the stomach and if he doesn't stop, not have the physical ability to go H2H.

Thus, the tactical and philosophical aspects of that post do not stand up to analysis.

Page generated in 0.03847 seconds with 8 queries