View Single Post
Old July 31, 2002, 12:49 PM   #1
Hard_Case

...considering beginning MA training...

Okay, here's yet another shade of the eternal newb question.
I'm looking for some advice regarding martial arts training.

I've recently put myself on a radical alteration thing with regards to getting in shape. Radically changed food intake, hitting the gym 6 days a week, and it's really paying off. I've always had the desire to train in a martial art, and for some reason now I want to get serious about it. Not just as a complement to my current physical activities, but for the self-defense and spiritual/focus aspects as well.

To give you an idea of what we're dealing with.....I'm about 6'3", about 295lbs. Not in shape, but not out of shape...as I said I'm in the gym 6 times a week, cardio and weight training.

When in college I took a semester long Aikido course, and really enjoyed it. However, I think the sensei specifically tailored the course, since we mostly learned technique....none of the spiritual/philosophical stuff.

What I'm looking for....hrm.....not an easy thing to explain. Of course, I'm looking for a good grounding, something that will allow me to branch out into different styles/arts. I'm also looking for something that is challenging, that will need me to push myself to excel. I'm also looking for something physical. Not exactly in the sense of dishing out physical punishment....but I'm not looking for commercialized Tai Chi here either......one thing I'm interested in branching into at some point is weapons....

I found a school that's maybe five minutes away from my house:
http://www.princetonaikikai.com/

A friend at work, however, pointed me towards a place where I could train in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu:
http://www.ricardoalmeida.com/lessons.html

Now, I fully realize that to be proficient in self defense it is best to study more than one art. I realize this, and fully intend to do so, but what would be best to start with? This above is what I've got so far.....are there any arts I should/should not be looking at, or if anyone is in the general area (NJ) do they know any schools/dojos to consider or not consider?

And I guess lastly, what do most people normally pay for MA classes?
"Sure. I respect your right to resist. You should respect my right to break your legs for it."
- Cain, The Blade of Tyshalle

Page generated in 0.02383 seconds with 8 queries