View Single Post
Old August 15, 2012, 10:43 PM   #2
Fingers McGee

Quote:
The serial number is 250821. My understanding is that the 2nd generation 1860 Army serial numbers only went to 212835. They went to 212540

I also understand that the 3rd generation colts were "Signature Series" carrying the signature of Sam Colt engraved on the backstrap. This pistol does not have that engraving. Then it probably isn't a Sig Series

So, is this a second generation gun (perhaps the run went past 212835)? Or is it a third generation that did not get the signature engraving? Or is it something else? Sounds like it is probably something else.
1st, 2nd, and Sig Series 1860s had the complete serial number on the barrel, frame, triggerguard, arbor, and wedge and inscribed in pencil or pen in the backstrap channel of the grips. The last four digits of the serial number were on the cylinder and backstrap. If the serial number isn't found in these locations, it's probably a defarbed Italian replica.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce

Last edited by Fingers McGee; August 16, 2012 at 12:05 PM.

Page generated in 0.02804 seconds with 8 queries