View Single Post
Old February 9, 2013, 08:33 AM   #4
Walt Sherrill

Extraction-related problems are seldom due to magazine choices. You've described the typical extraction failures: failure to extract or a double-feed (which is really a failure to extract made worse by a new round feeding.)

Winchester White Box ammo is one of the rounds that seems to cause CZ extractors more problems than other rounds. I no longer shoot it, if I have any options. (In years past, the problem with WWB was partly due to a different extractor groove on the WWB case; that may no longer be the case -- I haven't shot it in a while.)

Check BEHIND the extractor (in the groove on the slide) and make sure no gunk has built up there. That aspect of the CZ design allows junk to build up, and that can keep the extractor from pressing on the case rim as strongly as it should. The best way to check or clean it is to remove the extractor, but you can also clean it with compressed air, etc. (If removing the extractor, drive the extractor pin DOWN, from the top of the slide with the slide removed. Be careful about the small spring under the extractor as the pin comes out.)

I don't know how OLD your 85B might be, but if it's an older CZ, it may have the original (somewhat anemic) extractor spring installed. (CZ went to a stronger extractor spring a few years ago. The year of manufacture is on a small oval near the ejection port.) You can get a stronger extractor spring from Wolff (or from CZ) for a few bucks. (CZ's may be free.)

CZ has been using Mec-Gar mags for some years now as their OEM mags, but the OP's mags may be older. Mec-Gar aftermarket mags will look the same as factory mags, but they are each made to slightly different specifications. I've never had problems with CZ factory mags OR Mec-Gar mags, and I've had BUNCHES of both, along with many CZs.

About the only thing you'll ever need to do with CZ Factory mags is replace the springs, but that's true with Mec-Gars, too -- especially if you leave hi-cap mags fully loaded. (That stresses springs in some mags, over time, and Wolff recommends downloading a round or two if kept loaded for storage.)

Later addition: crap buildup under the extractor, possible with DIRTY AMMO, can be the problem. Just cleaning the extractor area may solve the problem.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; February 9, 2013 at 10:49 AM.

Page generated in 0.03562 seconds with 8 queries