View Single Post
Old December 12, 2013, 12:44 AM   #5
totalloser

Ok, I recast all my .45 to take advantage of cheap plumbing lead and tried out the cutter. Works as I expected, pretty clean. At least until you push the boolit out. At that point you have to handle the sticky projectile.

So it looks like all that is needed to cut that step out is to set the ejector rod shorter, and fab a push button for the end that is big enough for the die to push on. The nuts currently hit the carbide in the die (bad) for what I have in mind.

Current process:
Cut boolit, wipe base, push out into left hand to drop on case mouth, operate press.

Improved process:
Cut boolit, wipe base, set assembly on case, operate handle to set boolit into case, retract handle and remove cutter, seat boolit.

The improved process eliminates ALL direct handling of the lube, and allows a smoother process for operating the press. As the handle is pulled, and the shell plate rises, the seating die pushes on the ejector rod of the cutter placing the projectile in the case mouth which is a press fit into the brass. Then the cutter can be pulled right out. No touching mess.

I'll post up a pic after I modify the cutter.

Haha! Works great. I cut the threads lower and changed to a flange nut to engage the outside of the seating die. Fumbling uploading pics though.

Ah, there we go. The second pic shows cutter in press- you operate the ram to barely set the boolit in the case then remove the cutter and operate press to seat boolit as normal. In my press this amount of travel does nothing else- BEWARE in case it does in your press- like operating a powder charge twice or the like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1212131747a.jpg (150.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 1212131748a.jpg (192.4 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by totalloser; December 12, 2013 at 09:41 PM.

Page generated in 0.02689 seconds with 9 queries