View Single Post
Old May 4, 2012, 05:59 PM   #16
weldonjr2001

"lets say both rounds in gold dot, how do they compare in ballistics?"

I'm in a position to answer that question, as I own both (actually all three) and carry Gold Dots in them. I've also chronographed them thoroughly.

Here's from mine, average of 5 shots, 55 degree F day

Ruger LCP - Speer 90 grain Gold Dot HP - 877 fps - 155 ft/lbs ME

Ruger LCR (38 +P) - Speer 125 grain Gold Dot HP - 869 fps - 211 ft/lbs ME

Ruger LCR (357 mag) - Speer 125 grain Gold Dot HP - 1210 fps - 409 ft/lbs ME

(Notice almost twice the ME of the .357 mag over the .38 +P in the same barrel length. You do pay for that with recoil.)

It's a tough call for me between the LCP and the .38 LCR for pocket carry. Some days I prefer the capacity and faster reload of the LCP, some days the additional power and possibly additional reliability of the LCR. That is only possible, as my LCP has been flawless with the 90 grain Gold Dots out of the box.

I put the boot grips on the .38 LCR as it makes pocket carry less conspicuous for me.

I don't pocket carry the .357 LCR as the bigger grips and extra weight make it just a little too big and heavy for my pockets. I carry it in a small gunpack (Tommy's Original) under an untucked shirt. Some days I have the .38 LCR in the left front pants pocket and the .357 version in the gunpack. Gives me access to one or the other with either hand.

Since you, like me, like both types, just bite the bullet and get 'em both. You won't regret it.

I find the recoil of the LCP and the .38 LCR just about a wash. I'm firing them weak hand, and after some practice, it works well for me.

The .357 LCR, on the other hand (pun intended) with the .357 mag Gold Dots does feel like getting your hand clubbed with a hammer with each shot. Controllable, but no fun. 5 full-bore practice rounds each range session and I'm done with it. I can't imagine firing it with the boot grips I put on the .38 version.

I'd guess I pocket carry the LCP (or one of my other pocket .380's) about 60% of the time, the LCR about 40%. They are both superb handguns.

Page generated in 0.03815 seconds with 8 queries