View Single Post
Old July 2, 2010, 05:40 AM   #12
BlueTrain

Good Post, Mr. Jim Keenan. It is always instructive to review what people thought at other times as well as what the current fads are. A lot of the old timers, most of whom were actually more like trick shooters than real gunfighters, definately believed in cutaway holsters. That's fine, if the gun won't fall out.

I already mentioned how accidents were a problem when everyone that had a gun wanted to see how fast he could be with his Colt. The same thing sometimes happens with cars. Some rigs had metal bullet deflectors at the bottom. Shooting yourself with your own gun tends to defeat the point (instead of your opponent). But I'm falling into the school, no doubt a one-room school, that isn't comfortable with a lot of safeties. I've never seen the point of pinning down the grip safety on a Colt Government Model but I already mentioned the difficulty I have with the thumb safety. I've tried the extended thumb safety and didn't like it, so much for that. It isn't that I don't trust the thumb safety, understand. It is simple to use and very positive, especially compared with thumb safeties on other pistols. But you have to made a very certain movement with your thumb to get it off. No, it isn't difficult but I fumble it every time; I'm all fingers. Combine that with any sort of safety strap on the holster and the situation becomes hopeless. But this isn't a campaign to get anyone else to give up single action autos. I've nearly always had one.

But, referring to the policeman's reaction to an old style holster, he clearly operates under different guidelines and different circumstances than we do. It is sort of a handicap but we have our own legal handicaps, too, and perhaps for that reason, a quick draw might be a little more important to us. The policeman has to do it someone else's way; we don't.
Buy War Bonds.

Page generated in 0.03381 seconds with 8 queries