View Single Post
Old April 11, 2008, 11:10 PM   #49
scorpiusdeus

Quote:
Oh, I agree with every word you have written. This debate centers on the issue of a "command voice," a totally worthless idea that might get somebody killed.

Professional officers never use it. They don't have to. Period.
Sir, you are simply wrong. Well, maybe if you ARE from Mayberry that might apply, but if I pull down an ally at 01:00 hours and come upon 5 MS13 bangers stripping a BMW, I can assure you the first words out of my mouth are not going to be "hey fellas, what's up, may I please see some I.D."?

Some of these guys have done a nickel or more up at the gladiator academy and are using every second to determine if they can 1) run 2) overpower me or 3) drawn down and fire on me.

I can assure you that the Mr Rogers approach will only encourage them to make a move faster than being drawn down on and being told in my best drill instructor voice that they need to get on their knees, cross their legs, hands on their heads facing away from me until backup arrives.

In MANY situations your idea might apply, but to say "never" shows a certain Utopian naiveté

As I read you are a bike rider, I can sort of understand your point of view. I'm very aware of the propensity for various LEOs to immediately assume anyone on a Harley is a felon on probation. A large number of motorcycle riders in an area is immediately seen as a biker gang blowing into town.

I don't see that much around here. Most of our "biker gangs" consist of teachers, lawyers, doctors, business owners just enjoying the freedom of cruising down the road with the wind in their face. The vast majority of LEOs here understand that. Even the occasional HA or Mongol doesn't kick up much fuss in these parts.

Page generated in 0.02525 seconds with 8 queries