View Single Post
Old November 25, 2009, 09:06 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

No. There is no such law. I believe that you are not allowed to "carry into the field" a rifle in non-rifle areas, or even in rifle areas without a big game license or shotguns while in possession of slugs without a big game license during the deer hunting season. I can't find the my actual reg book at the moment and the website is, er, less than complete in many areas.

The regulation that he is probably taking about concerns the definition of hunting. There were a few episodes in the past wherein anti-hunters were going into the woods with pots and pans, trying to make as much noise as possible to keep people from shooting deer. The antis were eventually charged for "hunting without a license" because the definition of hunting is New York includes the language of "worry, harass or chase whether or not it results in the taking of an animal" (ad-lib there).

However, shooting at targets on private property that you have permission to be on would not fall under that restriction, nor would it be considered to "carry into the field."

Ah, I found it... here are the pertinent laws. Note that it could be construed to mean what the fellow is saying, but I can assure you that it does not.

To hunt-means to pursue, shoot, kill or capture (other than trap) wildlife and includes all lesser acts that disturb or worry wildlife whether or not they result in taking. Hunting also includes all acts to assist another person in taking wildlife.

Possession of Firearms
During the open season for deer, it is illegal to:

possess shotgun shells loaded with slug or ball, unless holding a valid license or permit to take deer or bear, or
possess a rifle larger than a .22 rimfire (muzzleloading rifles excepted) in areas where rifles are banned for taking deer.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/28182.html

Go wandering around the woods and you'll have problems. Stay in an obvious target shooting range/area and obviously be shooting at targets and you'll be fine.

To really be sure, go spend the $35 (or whatever) on a license and you won't have to worry at all.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; November 25, 2009 at 09:16 PM.

Page generated in 0.02549 seconds with 8 queries