View Single Post
Old December 31, 2011, 01:09 PM   #45
"JJ"

Well I'm gonna throw in my $.02 here!!

As for the original post, Lynx all the way. I would guess it is one of this years juveniles.

BIGR SAID:
Quote:
While you guys are analyzing cats. Do think these pictures are of a Bobcat. I just recently got this one on the game cam.
I say bobcat all the way! The markings on the legs on the "BOBBED" spotted tail help me form my hypothesis!

As for Texas bobcats, 25-30lbs is not unheard of by any means, in NE Texas I think the average may be about 5 lbs lighter. I have seen pics of bobcats in the mid 30s from around here, but most of the ones I have seen are in the low to mid 20s. The local taxi I trade with mounted 54 bobcats from last Winter. I didn't see them all but got reports of the sizes and pics of the big ones. I watched as he and his apprentice mounted a few.

On to this size of a linx, I thinks it it depends on the location and the sub-species.

Part of an article on the subject:
Quote:
There are three different types of lynx with these being the North America lynx found in Canada and Alaska, the European lynx found in Spain and Portugal and the Asian lynx which is found in Turkestan and central Asia.

The North American lynx is the biggest species of lynx and some of these lynx individuals have extremely thick and fluffy looking fur which keeps the lynx warm in the freezing Canadian winter. The European and Asian lynx species are much smaller in size and have personalities that resemble those of a domestic cat, rather than a large feline.
Of course In North American we should just see the one species, but online research can give info on any of them. A mature lynx will USUALLY have almost a beard for the two tuffs of fur on the sides of its face growing together. The tuffs of fur on the ears are usually a bit more distinct the that on a bobcat. usually their tail will be solid with a darker tip. The majority of bobcats will have some spots on their tails and what appears to be a white tip. On closer inspection the white is on the underside of the tail but is usuall visible due to it being curled up.
Most information list a full grown North American lynx tom at 20-30 lbs, but they do get a LOT bigger!!

Here is a video of Loren Reese, an avid hunter/caller in Alaska who also make some great calls. This is a larger then average tom, but none the less BIG!
Big Lynx called in in Kenai, Alaska with Loren Reese of Reese Outdoors

It almost looks like the Grentch!!
Beautiful cat none the less!

Page generated in 0.02828 seconds with 8 queries