View Single Post
Old December 25, 2013, 02:07 PM   #13
603Country

I guess I coulda walked 10 feet and picked up my 39A, but I didn't. Absolutely right that there's only the one screw. Still, my advice is good, though the one hole is going to be tougher to do properly. Now...based on the new and better information, I'd probably build a jig, using one or more Jorgenson wooden clamps (or the Harbor Freight equivalent) to hold the stock so that my drill press when used, would drill the exact same angle hole. I'd use the existing screw hole, and with a drill bit in the press, to set that angle to the jig. Then I'd plug the hole with a walnut or oak dowel. Get a friend with a wood lathe to make the dowel for you (or PM me with the diameter needed and I'll make and mail you a couple of dowels, since I have a wood lathe). Then glue the dowel in place, let it dry and drill it out and remount the buttstock.

Another, and possibly easier, approach would be to drill the hole out in shallow fashion (not all the way through the stock) to a depth of maybe 3/8 of an inch at both ends of the hole and to a larger size hole. Glue in a plug to both shallow holes, sand flush as required, and then redrill the holes through the plugs. This approach takes away the difficulty of drilling a hole completely through the wood stock grip and having to be exactly right the first time. I think that would work.

Or...a new fore end and buttstock would look nice.

Page generated in 0.03146 seconds with 8 queries