View Single Post
Old March 25, 2012, 10:39 PM   #26
LinuxHack3r

Quote:
Well, I know I'm going to get slammed for this addition to the thread, but so be it.

In my opinion, second amendment provides, in line with the times in which it was written, to allow the individual to bear arms. I do not believe that any of the founding fathers thought for a moment that it should be okay to possess a fully automatic machine gun privately. I also believe the right to bear arms was enacted for personal protection and hunting purposes, as the lifestyle back then would demand.

The security of a free state does not depend on personal protection and hunting purposes. Also, the founding fathers did not think for a moment that it should be okay to posses a fully automatic machine gun privately because at the time they did not exist. I would argue that even though the idea of a gun that fired many bullets automatically may have been floating around, it was so far off that it was considered a fairy tale. Much like if today someone tried to enact legislation to ban/protect lightsabers.

Consider the free spirit of the founding fathers, and their fear of homegrown tyranny, and I believe that you may reconsider your position.

Page generated in 0.03196 seconds with 8 queries