View Single Post
Old May 18, 1999, 03:34 PM   #9
Cheapo

Two problems:

1. The muzzle flash is enormous. I am confident enough in the .357 and my ability to place its shots that I wish to be able to use it for defense. I wish to preserve nighttime visual acuity if I need to launch one under the streetlights.

2. It takes a LOT of the stuff to get the velocities I like. In many guns, it gives more speed than I want... But anyway, I can cut my powder costs by about 40% on my reloads, just by charge weight alone. Olin powders tend to run $3 more per pound here, too.

So, I'm after less flash and lower charge weights. Just might go to Unique if this Power Pistol thing doesn't work out. Just about the only data out there is from Alliant, and I have reason to believe that either their velocity claims are over-stated, or their test piece produces abnormally high pressures.

Realistic velocity expectations is why I originally posted. As Alliant's data shows very similar velocities with Unique, I hoped to find out what people were actually getting. Then I could have a better idea of what to expect from PP.

Had hoped that Hornady had done their own load development with XTPs--different bullets sometimes allow somewhat heavier charges than the bullets the powder maker tested with(*). But alas, Hornady just forwarded me the Alliant loading guide.

(*)Witness Olin/Winchester, which lists 18.5 gr. 296 under a 125-gr pill in .357 Magnum, with firm instructions to use exactly, with no reduction. Other books show between 19.5 and 20.5 of 296 for their max loads. Since the Olin guide also shows a pretty mild pressure for their "take it or leave it" load, I believe the other books' loads are safe *-*for the bullets/cases/primers used.*-* The 20.5 max, I've heard, has been scaled back to 20.0 in a later edition...

Page generated in 0.02539 seconds with 8 queries