View Single Post
Old May 30, 2012, 01:50 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I would write BATFE and ask them those questions, but here is my $.02.

A question - Is the suppressor owned by the corporation or by you? Whose name is on the transfer paper?

If the item is owned by the corporation, and you, as a corporation officer want to buy it, it is my understanding that any time a corporation owns an NFA firearm (which includes suppressors), and an officer/director of the corporation wants to buy that item, it is a new transfer from the corporation to the officer as an individual, requiring a Form 4 and tax stamp. The corporation does not have to be a dealer; it is a "corporate person" and (local law permitting) one person can transfer the item to another person within a state without going through a dealer, as long as the Form 4 is approved and the tax paid.

If the above is correct, and you want a suppressor for personal use, it might be better just to buy one from the supplier directly in your own name and save $200.

As to where an NFA item can be stored, another question for BATFE, IMHO. If a corporation which is not a dealer owns NFA items, AFAIK they can be stored in any location owned by or under control of the corporation. But your LLC is a licensed dealer so, again IMHO, the suppressor has to be stored on the licensed premises so as to be available in case of an audit.

Jim

Page generated in 0.03326 seconds with 8 queries