View Single Post
Old November 18, 2012, 11:17 PM   #10
Chowder

Quote:
As a brand new hunter I would highly recommend AGAINST tackling moose or caribou on your own.

Page down a bit and read the other post about Caribou and Moose hunting in Alaska, read all the post.

I spent 22 years in Alaska leaving in '94. Its not like it use to be by a long shot. Both caribou and moose require getting off the beaten path. You don't want to do that without having someone more experienced with you.
Hunting Caribou is my end goal and I plan on going with other people after I spend more time small game hunting, most likely next year. I am not too worried about getting off the beaten path, I am new to hunting but not to long kikes in rough terrain. But I agree with you safety in numbers is the best way of staying out of trouble and don't plan on going very far without others. I have learned quickly up here that being with others is the best bet weather smowmachining, 4 wheeling, or hiking. Overconfidence will kill very fast in alaska so I always try to be cautious.

Quote:
If you want rabits, wait until there is fresh snow, then drive up to the Knick River Bridge. Walk the wooded area looking for fresh tracks. Follow the tracks and they'll take you to the rabits. Rabits should be white about now. Stay away from the rivers, the overflows will kill you.
The knick river was the first spot I tried to go the other day. I have been hiking on the trails there a few times and thought it would be a great place. Everywhere I tried to get into the woods I found no trespassing signs or i thought I was too close to the hiking trails. Since you have a lot of hunting experience up here I will have to take a drive on a day I'm not planning on hunting and check out the area more closely. I think I was too impatient with finding the right spot and left the area worrying about losing daylight. I ended up near Eklutna lake. I would love to hear any other spots that might be good to check out and I don't mind getting up early to go for a bit of a drive, although I understand people don't like to give they're secret spots away haha.

Very good advice about the river, I have a very healthy dose of fear about rivers so thankfully that keeps me away from them. I went dip netting In the copper river and was getting made fun for tying myself to a tree and barely getting my shins in the water. I think the power of that river was a wake-up call that Alaska is like no where I have ever been before.

Quote:
The University of Alaska Anchorage use to have a survival class. Check that out. A couple hours a week. Remember Anchorage ISN'T Alaska.
I will have to check that out thanks. I have had SERE training but that was a long time ago and no such thing as too much education, especially when it comes to information that can save your life.

Quote:
Find a mentor.
Working on this one. Having a good teacher is the best tool one can have. I don't personally know many hunters so In the end I might save up and go on a guided hunt.

Page generated in 0.03410 seconds with 8 queries