View Single Post
Old July 9, 2010, 06:56 AM   #20
TX15

The "build" in "build your own AR15" is like the "build" in "build your own Lego model". You assemble an AR not build it. And you can assemble a good 1911 these days too.

mes228 hit it on the head, had you better want to keep it, On a GOOD DAY, a pistol that was "built" by a home gunsmith MIGHT recover the base price of base gun even with $500.00 in additional parts. Outside of complete "production" models, even work by named gunsmiths rarely recover 50% of the money spent over the price of the base gun. Look at the for sale ads and the prices with the shopping lists of parts and see what sold for at the end.

And, with no offence meant as I have found them to be quite good parts these days, Auto Ordnance and Essex parts had such bad early reputations that it will be more cost effective to burn your money to heat your house with it than to try and recover it selling the gun.

I "built" quite a few when I was collecting military models as you ended up with a lot of take off parts and altered slides from other "gunsmiths" work. That was then, I shake my head at the prices they want for these Bubba specials now.

Last edited by TX15; July 9, 2010 at 07:19 AM.

Page generated in 0.02470 seconds with 8 queries