View Single Post
Old October 12, 2012, 05:41 PM   #1
Doug S

Savage 110 purchase?

Last year was the first time I had hunted in 16 years. In the interim I had sold off my Remington 700, 7600 Carbine, and Marlin 30-30. Last season I borrowed a rifle from a friend, and I can do so again this year, but I think I'd like to pick up a "cheap" but decent quality rifle of my own. A local hardware store has a Savage 110 in 270 caliber with a wooden stock and a 3x9x40 Tasco scope for $275. It appears to be in very decent shape overall, no rust, and the wood looks good, but it didn't have checkering on the stock like the pictures of older 110' that I've seen on the Internet. I'm not sure about the age of the gun, but I'm assuming it's not of very recent vintage. The riflings also looked good. Action functioned smoothly. My other options from the same shop, a Ruger American for $339 without a scope, a Remington 770 for $319 w/scope (which I've read bad reviews on), or Savage Axis with a scope for about the same as the Ruger. Comparing the guns the 110, just felt better, aimed more naturally, and seemed to function more smoothly like rifles that I've owned in the past. The Ruger American (which would probably be my second choice) just didn't "feel" as good.

So my question is, based on the above limited info, should the stock have checkering, or has it been refinished. Other than the lack of checkering, the stock doesn't look to be refinished (no rounded edges, etc.). Oh, and there is no hinged floorplate on this stock. Does the $275price tag sound reasonable for a 110 that doesn't appear to have seen much in the way of hard use, or would the Ruger American be a better rifle? Serial number on the Savage is in the 972###...don't know if that helps with anything.

Thanks very much for any help on this.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." Col. Jeff Cooper, from The Art of the Rifle

Last edited by Doug S; October 12, 2012 at 05:58 PM.

Page generated in 0.05458 seconds with 8 queries