View Single Post
Old August 28, 2011, 11:23 AM   #4
snuffy

Quote:
1. I want to load my cast boolits at original military ballistics. This means that I’d need to push a 150gr projectile to 2700fps in my P17. The research I’ve done indicates that this isn’t really possible even with properly sized projectiles and gas checks.
Am i correct in assuming this or is there a way that i could achieve this velocity? 2700 would be very difficult to achieve. 2200 is much more realistic, and it will be a good load. Why do you think this is necessary? Most cast bullets are not very streamlined, so they will not shoot as flat as a pointy jacketed bullet, even though they leave the muzzle at the same velocity.

2. How do I attach gas checks? Can I attach them using my normal press and a LEE sizing kit or will I need to find another method?Just push them on, then push them through the lee sizer. It swages them on as it sizes the bullet.

3. Realistically using the correctly sized projectiles, gas checks and LEE liquid alox what is the most velocity i could realistically achieve out of the rifle barrels of my Mosin Nagant and P17? Again, most consider 2200 as the upper limit for cast boolits in rifles. The lee liquid alox is a good lube, but some have found it has an upper velocity limit of around 1800 fps. Another thing, bullet fit is king. By that I mean you must "slug" your bore to KNOW the bore outside diameter to size your bullet to that size + .001-.002 BIGGER.
Thanks a lot in advance for all your help I really appreciate it.
Hope that answers some of your questions. Please feel free to ask more, as I'm sure you will have others as you start casting.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?

Page generated in 0.02635 seconds with 8 queries