View Single Post
Old April 25, 2006, 02:32 PM   #17
leadcounsel

A $300 safe will be next to worthless in construction, safety, and offers no fireproof. It will keep only the smallest of children out.

For about $20-30 and a couple hours of time you could buy some heavy duty eyebolts and bolt them into the wall studs about 5 feet apart and run two cables or a vinyl coated chain through the gun actions and secure the two cables with a lock. Run the cable through your guns' actions. Or, get individual cable locks (which most police stations give out for free) and attach each one to the chain and the guns. It would serve the same purpose (eg keeping kids from the guns). Sure there's no fire proofing or real burglarly protection but neither is a $300 safe. I bet I could get into a $300 safe in under 10 minutes with a hammer or prybar. One would need bolt cutters or hacksaw to cut the chain/cables (not something most crooks carry). Unscrewing the bolts may be difficult and the bolts won't thread through the action of the guns. You could take it a step further and conceal them with something such as a decorative screen, some artwork, built and paint a 4 sided rectangular box and place it in front of the guns and then put cheap artwork on the box to make it appear like part of the construction, etc.

Another idea is to build a sturdy crate that is about 12" deep and the length and width of your couch. Build it out of 2x4s, 2x8s, plywood, etc. Probably $50 in lumber and a few hours of time. Add some hinges. Move your couch and park it where your couch is, then fill it with your guns (possibly tied together with a cable and lock) and then park your couch on top of it. Conceal it with a couch cover that hangs down to the floor. Bingo, out of sight out of mind.

I would recommend saving that $300 and adding to it. Can you save $1000 more in 6 months? $1500? For around $1500 to $2000 you could get a quality floorsafe with excellent burglary and fire resistance.

See www.sturdysafe.com

I have a sturdy safe and it was somewhere around $1800 delivered. It offers 90 minutes of ceramic/glass blanketing fire resistance, 8 or 9 gauge steel, and a commercial grade combo lock and it's about 900 lbs.

Realistically, a safe this size would be extremely difficult to move into a small apartment if there are any stairs involved. But then again it would be more difficult to steal. It took me and 3-4 of my strong friends and a handtruck to move this mother into my home. I was originally going to put it in the basement but after the difficulty it stayed on the main floor.

And, you can store more valuables including jewels, pictures, camera equipment, ammo, etc in the safe. Seems silly to have thousands of dollars in valuables and gun and not have a safe place to store them.

Page generated in 0.02695 seconds with 8 queries