View Single Post
Old March 23, 2013, 10:54 AM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

I bought a Forster armorer's set of .308 gages in 0.001" steps years ago. When I got an RCBS Precision mike I learned quickly that the gage labeled 1.638" was 0.001" shorter than the one labeled 1.637". That was the end of my confidence in the more economical gages.

I started buying Clymer then, when Dave Manson still worked for them. When Dave set up his own shop, my business followed him both because of the quality of his work and because of good advice he'd given me over the phone that saved me money and showed he was more interested in the customer having what he actually needs than in making a sale. I have measured the gages with a precision reamed hole through a spacer and a height gauge on a grade A granite surface plate. The height gauge only lets me clearly resolve about half a thousandth resolution (Swiss made Vernier scale type), though I like to think I can make out 1/4 thousandth on it. In either case, I'm not seeing any discernible error on that, so I would say they are at least within half a thousandth, and may be better.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Page generated in 0.03145 seconds with 8 queries