View Single Post
Old September 2, 2013, 02:21 AM   #18
FrankenMauser

Quote:
At least, this is how it works here in Washington state, and I believe it is the same in Oregon. I know Idaho was negotiating with the tribe for a similar arrangement. In Idaho it is (was? don't know if the process is finished) required that tribal police call the Idaho State Police, and tribal police can (could) only detain a non-tribal member.
Even in Idaho, it depends on the area ... or even the officer.

Some of the officers for the Fort Hall (Shoshone-Bannock) reservation, for example, are also county sheriff's deputies (for one or more of the four counties the reservation "lies within" [a debatable concept]). At the same time, some of those same officers are also sworn game wardens. And, separately, some of the tribal officers are sworn game wardens, but not sheriff's deputies.

But, some of the reservations farther west, and farther north, in Idaho, have completely different arrangements with local, regional, and state government entities.

To make matters more complex, deeded lands within the reservation can be sold to non-natives; and a large number of non-natives do live on the reservation (my wife and I have considered buying several places). As such, there are portions of the reservation that are primarily patrolled only by sheriff's deputies (tribal or not) due to the predominantly non-native population, but generally not by cops that are tribal-only.

How something may be handled, if the police are called or if you're pulled over on the reservation, may just depend on who the responding officer happens to be.

No matter what reservation you want to discuss, the bottom line is the same as what I was taught growing up:
Don't do anything illegal on an Indian reservation, and you won't have to deal with the question of how they will handle prosecution.

If you don't already know what's legal/illegal, find out before you "test the water".

Page generated in 0.06993 seconds with 8 queries