View Single Post
Old August 16, 2000, 05:02 PM   #9
MikeK

8/16 follow-up. Intruder's sister claims he was the victim.

Kent man won't be charged for killing intruder
2000-08-16
by Heidi J. Stout
Journal Reporter

KENT -- Police don't plan to file charges against the 23-year-old Kent man who shot and killed an intruder in his girlfriend's house at 3:15 a.m. Saturday.

Kent police did not release the shooter's name at his request. The Panther Lake-area resident was licensed to carry a gun and has not been arrested, although a homicide investigation continues.

The intruder, 37-year-old Dennis Raymond Remont, was carrying a butcher knife when he broke into his ex-girlfriend's house in the 27300 block of 145th Court Southeast. Police said Remont had dated the woman for a few months.

Court papers said Remont lived with the woman as recently as mid-July and ran the business she owns.

But the woman, also 37, obtained a protection order against him July 18 after he ``put his hands around my throat and choked and pushed me into the wall'' on June 14 and ``pushed and shook me by my arms and pushed me down the stairs'' July 17, the woman wrote in court papers.

Police incarcerated Remont in the Kent jail July 19 after serving the protection order on him. Kent jail officials did not respond to questions about why and for how long he was in custody.

The protection order was finalized Aug. 1, prohibiting Remont from coming within 500 feet of the woman's home. The woman asked the court to modify the order Aug. 4, because she claimed Remont was ``interfering with the operation of my business'' by shutting off phone lines and changing the locks on a post office box.

Kent police spokesman Paul Petersen said all the evidence police have gathered so far is consistent with the stories of the woman and her boyfriend, who shot Remont.

``Everything indicates that it is true; we have not found a contradiction,'' Petersen said.

The King County Medical Examiner's preliminary autopsy report said Remont died from a gunshot wound to his head. Kent police said medics tried to revive him, but he died at the scene.

Remont's sister, Dana Garza, called the shooting a ``tragic murder.'' In an e-mail to the South County Journal, she said her brother is the victim, not his ex-girlfriend.

Heidi J. Stout covers Kent. She can be reached at [email protected] or 253-872-6627.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
South County Journal
600 South Washington, Kent WA 98032
Hours: Monday-Friday 8:00 to 17:00
Phone: 253-872-6600
Fax: 253-854-1006

All materials Copyright © 2000 Horvitz Newspapers, Inc.
Any questions? See our contact page.

Page generated in 0.04414 seconds with 8 queries