View Single Post
Old December 28, 2005, 08:29 AM   #12
XavierBreath

Quote:
GLP Standard ........Pay close attention to how the First Trooper on scene after the shooting reacts, even after he discovers that the two truckers that stopped to help werent the shooters. I know it was a tragic moment, but he said a lot of threatening comments towards the innocent bystanders, and do you think that his words were justified by the situation? Thats the only thing that I wanted to discuss.
Quote:
stratus...... He essentially commanded them to do (get down on the ground) was definitely the right thing. The way he told them to do so, though not justified, was forgivable considering the intensity of the situation. After all, no one could verify in the first few minutes that those two truckers weren't actually the shooters. Their vindication could wait until the smoke cleared.
Very true. As much as I would not have wanted to be those truckers, and as likely as I would have been them had I been passing by......... Trooper Jacobs (the first officer responding) did what he had to do. He wasn't nice, he wasn't tactful, but his actions and take charge attitude likely saved those two trucker's lives. Thank God the truckers complied.

You have to consider Trooper Jacob's situation. The knowledge he had at the time was somebody just apparently shot a fellow officer. It is unlikely Trooper Coates could effectively communicate. Here are these two guys with a gun. For Trooper Jacob's own safety, he had to control two men who were claiming not to be the shooter, while attempting to get back-up to administer to Coates. If he was wrong about the reason the two truckers were there, then he too, would die. Jacobs was in a position where he could not assist Coates, he could only protect him until further help arrived. He was alone against two unknown persons who claimed there was a shooter somewhere that was not themselves. This was not a time for pussyfooting around, but a time to take absolute charge of the situation or possibly die as well.

Nobody faults Trooper Coates for turning aggressive and shooting Blackburn. We cannot condemn Trooper Jacobs for doing the same to protect his own life in an even hairier situation. I believe Trooper Jacobs behaved with remarkable restraint, all things considered.

Quote:
SCCop....... I always point out to students that his last fatal error was not seeking available cover. Blackburn's vehicle was right beside him and he had one round left. Instead of taking the cover and reloading, he went for his radio. God knows we all want back-up in a gun fight but that gave Blackburn the time and opportunity to fire the final shot that pierced Mark's side. Remember there's a lot more to a gunfight that accuracy alone.
Again, very true, and it bears repeating. When you have one shot left, and are in a gunfight, the best tactic is to get cover and reload. Rule #1 in a gunfight is Do Not Get Shot. This even supercedes the usual glib "have a gun" rule. I believe Trooper Coates would want others to learn from his mistakes. By doing so, his loss is not in vain.

Page generated in 0.03733 seconds with 8 queries