View Single Post
Old June 5, 2012, 08:57 PM   #6
Hansam

Quote:
If it's bigger than a football, it's probably a hare or a domestic rabbit.
I was out squirrel/rabbit/predator hunting and I had sat down to eat lunch in the middle of a 200 acre parcel of public land that I small game hunt now and then. I was eating my PB&J sandwich when I heard a slight sound off to my left so I put my sandwich down on my lap and hefted my dedicated AR in .22lr. I shouldered it and scanned the forest to find some dark tan fur on some HUGE rabbit ears. I watched these ears a bit and the whole monster came out from behind a bush. It was about the size of a smallish medium dog (like a beagle) and was tan all over. So I was sitting there wondering what the heck kind of rabbit it was since I'd never seen a rabbit that big (domestic or wild). Anyway I watched it for a bit then decided to place a call to the warden that holds authority over that parcel of land just to make sure. Of course this means I'd lost the rabbit but better to be safe than sorry.

He told me that next time (and if I saw it again) I should shoot it because its definitely NOT native. Later that day I was on my way back to my truck when I saw it again. I head shot it at about 20 yards. It was just sitting there looking at me as I put one right between its eyes. The danged thing weighed just under 18lbs dressed and skinned!

I learned later on that it was a domestic rabbit breed - a Flemish Giant. I never did figure out how it came to be roaming free in the woods though.

Page generated in 0.02735 seconds with 8 queries