View Single Post
Old August 28, 2009, 02:29 PM   #2
carguychris

Quote:
The muzzle blast and felt recoil is objectionable. (I'm told this is the nature of the beast) What can/should be done to give this old warhorse some range manners? Muzzle brake ? shotgun recoil pad? Kick-eze? Restock? other?
Probably the two most effective solutions are:

1) Restock and/or add recoil pads. The factory Mosin-Nagant stock has a very small butt, an unyielding steel buttplate, and loads of drop, all of which tend to increase felt recoil. I've had good luck with a size "small" slip-on Limbsaver recoil pad, which fits just about perfectly and doesn't require any modifications to the rifle.

2) Handloading. Most Mosin-Nagant shooters use Eastern Bloc milsurp light ball for cost reasons, but this ammo is loaded for an M91/30 with a 28"+/- barrel rather than an M44 with a 20"+/- barrel. The burn rate of the powder in these rounds is too slow for the shorter barrel, leading to obnoxious muzzle blast. Light loads of fast powders will alleviate the problem without sacrificing performance. Be aware, however, that reloadable 7.62x54R brass tends to be expensive (albeit not unreasonable IMHO), and most Soviet rifles require 0.311"-caliber bullets due to their oversize bores.
Quote:
...I won't feel bad chopping this one up a bit to make it better handling and generaly more more useful.
1) Please don't! It's a piece of history!

2) You'll ruin its C&R status.

3) If you must modify it, please... no tac rails. It's just wrong.

Page generated in 0.03573 seconds with 8 queries