View Single Post
Old August 10, 2011, 07:51 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

Odd cartridges you fell in love with...

can you list a couple odd cartridges you load & or shoot & why you like them???

I'll start...

22 Hornet ( fast twist )...

I got the idea a long time ago, thinking about the 30 carbine, using a faster twist barrel & a heavier bullet... the semi auto carbine action was'nt as conductive to changing, so I thought the Hornet might be a good starting point... I started with a Taurus Raging Hornet I already had, that had a monster 10" full underlug barrel & was so muzzle heavy with the tiny bore, that I didn't shoot it much, even though I liked the Hornet cartridge, I started by removing the barrel, & fitting a 6" Dan Wesson barrel shroud to the big bull... next I chose a chunk of 1 in 9" twist 223 barrel & threaded it to the gun... I started with 40 grain bullets in factory loadings, just to make sure the gun would shoot factory cartridges well... it did, & I moved up in weight as far as 68 grain bullets all with good results... as good as the 6" barrel was shooting, I just had to do the same 1 in 9" twist barrel on a Ruger 77-22 Hornet, & that rifle shoots great as well... I've settled on a 40 grain, 55 grain & 68 grain loading that shoots well in both guns, loading out as far as the rotary mag will accept...

10 mm Magnum...

this started with my Automag 4, & 1000 Starline cases... since I hate crawling around on the ground chasing "any" brass ( & especially custom brass like these ) the Contender barrel seemed a natural... & several years later I picked up a S&W 610 ( shoots 40 S&W & 10 mm with moon clips ) & now 10 mm Magnum as well... this 6" barrel stainless revolver has turned out to be one of my favorite double actions

50-70 Gov.

while maybe not that odd... more like obsolite... I've really grown to love the big bore stuff... I shoot a ton of 45-70... but if I could convert all my 45-70's to 50-70 I probably would... my only gun chambered in that cartridge right now is a custom Martini single shot... but I'm wanting a Contender barrel ( though I'll have to watch load levels ) & or another rifle in the worst way...

I have several others, as I load over 60 different cartridges, but at the risk of boring you guys, I'll stop there & wait to hear what some of your favorite oddballs are...

Page generated in 0.03618 seconds with 8 queries