View Single Post
Old June 1, 2011, 03:18 PM   #51
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Every shot weather plinking or comp shooting should be carefully placed and be expected to perform as all others. How doe's one better themselfs when you know you are shooting a load that is not up to par?. Just wondering?????
In some cases, the load, itself, is not up to par. The combination of components is not worthy of extra case prep.
For example:
.270 Winchester
Range pickup brass (unknown times fired, multiple lots, multiple brands)
130 gr Winchester Power Point (most inconsistent bullet I have found)
19 gr Trail Boss.
Any standard LR primer.
--That load produces about 1,400 fps in my rifle. The trajectory is so much different than any other load I shoot, that just the powder choice means this load should only be used for training and familiarity. Adding the ridiculously inconsistent Power Points, means the load won't produce any kind of accuracy. ..."Match Grade" brass prep, this load does not get.

Another example:
.270 Winchester
FC brass
Any bullet
Pull Down powder.
Pull Down primers.
--I have scrapped all of the FC brass I had, except for a limited number of cases in .270 Win, and .243 Win. In those two cartridges, the cases might be usable for 1-2 more reloads, but have horribly inconsistent primer pockets and neck tension. As such, they only get used for low grade plinking loads. Since I am frequently given other people's reloads (and recently pulled down several hundred rounds of my own reloads, for two rifles I sold), I have a fair amount of pull down powder, primers, and bullets. I don't believe that these pull-down components can be trusted as much as my other ammunition. So, they get minimal case prep, and are only used for training and familiarity.

Page generated in 0.02601 seconds with 8 queries