Thread: Short Barrel 44
View Single Post
Old May 17, 2011, 10:02 PM   #6
Bill Akins

I know Josey. I've been thinking the same thing. With Tanner's Sports Center selling those fine Uberti Hombres for just $250.00 it makes one think twice about buying another BP revolver when they could have another Hombre instead for about the same price. My Hombres are so well made and of such good quality that in my opinion they are better machined and finished than any of my BP revolvers. So like you it kind of makes me not want to spend almost the same amount to get another BP revolver as I spent on my Hombres.

The only thing is....I already have two Hombres. I don't have one of those polished steel (not stainless) short barreled '51 sheriff model Colts. I'm waiting to see if the price comes down on that one I posted the link on. Maybe if it was $175.00 I might be temped. But it probably won't drop lower than $200.00 if it drops at all.

Then even if it DID drop to $200.00.....like you I'm back to thinking....heck, for just $50.00 more, I could get a .357 hombre to go with my two .45 Colt hombres. But with two .45 Hombres do I really need a .357 hombre? Or I could get another .45 Hombre....but do I NEED three .45 Hombres? Lol.

Then I also get to thinking....I already have two 1860 Colts, one a nickel and gold Pietta and one a nickel and gold ASM....plus a stainless Pietta short barreled 1858 Remy. So do I really need the short barreled 1851? Well okay I may not actually NEED it....but is it worth the price when I could get another Uberti Hombre for about the same price?

Decisions, decisions.

That's the problem with guns. You can't make up your mind which ones you are addicted to! It's like a kid in a candy store. You know you only have enough to just buy a certain amount of pieces of candy....but....you want them ALL! Although we joke about it, sometimes gun addiction can actually be a bad thing. What's bad is you can't get as many as you'd like! Lol.

Yes it is a nice holster in the ad. But (in my opinion) not worth the $100.00 they want just for the holster.

I know what you mean Josey about the "Only fired once" ads. Like how would we know? I mean how can we tell if it was fired 10 times vs just once?
Truth is we can't. Often times unscrupulous sellers who have no idea how many times the gun was fired will say about a gun that has obviously been fired SOME....that it was only fired once and then put away. Quite a common sales ploy used at the auctions. I always chuckle about that. If you had that handy sweet little short barreled '51 and you fired it...would you only fire it just that one time and then put it away and never fire it again? Lol.

I have two sets of unfired limited edition, 1 of 5000 nickel and gold Remys.
They are UNFIRED. Unfired is unfired. But to me once it is fired, it doesn't make much difference if it was only fired once or 20 times. Just as unfired is unfired,.....fired is fired. And there is no way a potential buyer can accurately tell if it was just fired once or more than once even upon close up inspection if the revolver was properly cleaned and maintained and not abused. So although I get a chuckle out of the ads, I take them with a grain of salt and hope when I buy that I'm not making a mistake. I sweat that out every time I buy used on auctions until the gun arrives and I can closely inspect it. So far I haven't gotten a lemon yet. But....."Caveat Emptor" (let the buyer beware).

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; May 18, 2011 at 10:45 AM.

Page generated in 0.02477 seconds with 8 queries